Monday, November 14, 2011

Hudson's birth story






(you know the drill . . . if you have a weak stomach don't read on :) But not too gory I promise!!!



Wednesday evening I had a bunch of contractions, they were 4-5 minutes, very uncomfortable but when I called the OB on call that night he said to try to work through them, try to sleep, and if I could just try to hold off for my 7 am induction.



I managed to deal with them, they didn't get stronger, so there we were at the hospital at 7 the next morning (11.10.11) Remember how I mentioned it was a full moon or almost the day of, well needless to say that makes for a BUSY hospital. There weren't any rooms when we got there to check into, so we waited about an hour, then they took us to the L&D Triage where I got started on my Pitocin at about 9am. Needless to say, it was an interesting couple hours in triage, I was having my own contractions before I started meds, and they weren't unbearable while there but let's just say interesting company to listen to :)



We got into our room at 12, and I was contracting every 2-3 minutes, but dealing with pain fine. I was checked at 1:40 and was 2 but my nurse easily moved me to 4. As soon as I rolled to my side after I was checked my water broke on it's own.



Delt with contractions fine still, lots of breathing, and about 3:20ish I got checked again and I was 7-8, but Hudson was pretty comfy up there. Oh, and right after I got checked again I rolled to my other side and felt a big "pop" and lots more fluid, so apparently he was blocking the sac from fully bursting before, and I forget how much fluid there is cushioning them.




When I had Parker, I got an some meds (shot in my back) about 40 minutes before he came, and because Hudson was still up so high I decided that I would get meds to see if it helped him descend like he needed to. Well I finished dilating with the help of meds, but when I was fully dilated he was still pretty high, so we did some pushing and he came down after about 2-3 contractions. The meds I got only last only a short time so when I was ready to push I felt it all, but that was GREAT motivation to get our little man out. I think we pushed for about 30 minutes and then Hudson made his arrival at 6:03pm.



It was a smooth, in control labor :) I know I probably didn't need meds to help me manage pain but I can't say that if I hadn't gotten them that Hudson may or may not have come how I hoped he would, so sometimes we try one more thing :) So glad we did because I got to hold my little man very shortly after.



Minus having to get stuck about 6 different times before the meds went in my back, and resulting in a little bit of (what I think is) a spinal headache (which is getting better each day), and having a 2nd baby meaning you take a little longer to have your uterus contract back and more painful in the process . . . .I'm thankful for Tylenol and ibuprofen and little bits of rest :) Feeling pretty good today!



We came home Friday evening about 7 (we had to wait 24 hours for Hudson to get his newborn screening done) and then we were more than ready to be home. Noni and Poppi kept Parker for one more night, and he came home Saturday (I'll be sure to post about adjusting to 2 in a few weeks . . . . )



But we are doing great. A little exhausted from lots of loving visits with family, and a little bit of restless evenings but Hudson is a great baby. Having a 2nd newborn is so much easier than when you have your first. You are way more confident, and minus being tired, you kind of forget how easy newborns actually are. He cries when he's hungry, sometimes when he needs a diaper, and sometimes when he's tired but he's done very well at night already. I've gotten good 3 hour stretches, allowed some playtime and LOTS of snuggles because I KNOW how fast he'll grow.



It hasn't been a totally bump free transition (oh toddler stages are exhausting sometimes but this too shall pass, and the hormones oh the hormones), but we are learning each day and feeling pretty confident that we'll figure it out as we go :)


Taking pictures of the 4 of us . . . takes an army ;) Hopefully that will get easier and thankful for getting family pictures in a few weeks!




Loving my little family of 4!


9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family! I am so glad you had such a smooth and easy delivery. I also felt everything with both boys and it DOES give you so much more motivation to GET IT DONE! He is prefect & beautiful (and looks a lot like his brother!) and I can't wait to read more about your adventures this far (as I know JUST what you are feeling!!!)Sleep when you can, Momma. Love to you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! He is precious and you will love having a family of four! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Your new little man is so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awhhh so precious! Glad it was a "easy" birth! Happy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That sounds like a great birth! I am looking forward to hearing more about the adjustment of adding 1 more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect birth story! Drake was really high, too, but it took him what seemed like forever to come down. :-) Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're amazing! What a great birth story. So glad Hudson is here safely and enjoying time at home with his big brother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Erin, Chris, & Parker!! Hudson is so precious!! We love & miss you, & are so happy for you during this joyous time!! Looking forward to meeting him!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Can't wait to see your upcoming family pics!! :)

    ReplyDelete