Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thankful Thursday

There have been moments like this lately:
- 30000 toddler tantrums
- wrestling toddler to change a diaper
- pinning toddler to clean boogers
- loathing of mealtimes had by all
- changing 100000 diapers (only slightly an exaggeration)
- trying to get newborn to burp before he drifts into deep sleep and holds onto gas until he is awoken in discomfort
- about 4-6 wakings a night with a snuggly little baby
- a toddler who sometimes wakes due to stuffy nose, or wet diaper, or coughing, or just wanting to snuggle in the middle of the night
- mommy breakdowns - thank you hormones!

This too has happened:
- brother snuggles and kisses
- toddler marching around the living room singing "Frosty the snow man, Jolly happy" over and over
- toddler asking one of us to hold Hudson so he can snuggle with the mommy or daddy
- toddler pretending to cook "hot nummy soup" at least 5 times a day
- watched countless Christmas movies and decorated for the holidays
- Noni and Poppi saving a little toddler from his grumpy mommy at least 3 times
- Toddler wonder watching the first few snowfalls, and seeing Christmas lights at night "So boootiful"
- Toddler walking around pretending to be a pirate with one or two eye patches, and lately one eye patch is a flashing Ruldoph nose
- Made special cookies, playdough, and completed cutting/gluing projects with toddler to try and make him feel special
- 100000 snuggles for newborn and toddler at same time
- lots of laughter and smiles from all

I had Parker and Hudson only for a few hours at a time by myself before this week, and this week we've had lots of . . . bonding time. 95% of if has been fabulous, but that 5% feels like more than that sometimes . . .and drains you. But, we're making it . . .some moments aren't pretty (ask my hubby) but I know we'll get through, and look back and wish we could visit this moment in our lives again. I remind myself throughout the day over and over "This too shall pass." and "God doesn't give me anything beyond what I can handle".

I just try to give lots and lots and LOTS of hugs and kisses and say "I love you" a lot. Try to focus on the positive, cry if I need to, take a minute (literally all there is sometimes) to breathe and refocus, and soak in my sweet boys especially when I am having a hard time focusing on the positive. They are really good at bringing me back to all that God has blessed me with.

So there you have it . . . reality :) and I am embracing it!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh I bet it can be hard at times but at least your seeing the good too. XOXO I think you are fabulous! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone I know who has 2 kiddos has said that the first few weeks are absolutely the hardest. You will make it! It's so great that you can see the positives, even when things are tough.

    Now when I'm in your position and you're having fun with 2 bigger boys you can tell me all of this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Erin, and you have succeeded at all of these....these are the best of times....next week you will see....how are Sparty & the kitties adjusting to the activity around there? Luv you bunches..Grmma...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Momma... I know JUST how you feel... down the bones. I PROMISE, PROMISE, it get's easier... it's never the same as only having one.... but you will get a system down, and as Hudson gets older is will get easier. I can remember all of these things, and just how you are feeling like it was yesterday! We are seven months in now and most days I feel like I have it down 100 percent. {not to say I still don't have THOSE kind of days....}. I am always here if you need to talk! xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete