Monday, August 24, 2009

Some baby shower pictures

Here are a few pictures from the baby shower for my brother and sister-in-law, and their new little man who will be coming soon, Cael McCoy. I have to mention now, that after we were done setting up I think I got one more picture during the shower, luckily my great friend Katie (the photographer) offered to take pictures for us, so I will share those with you soon. Until then . . . enjoy!

The diaper cake . . .and I MADE IT! I rolled up close to 100 size 1 and 2 diapers and arranged them like a tiered cake. I used a cylinder of bath toys to anchor them in the center, and started making layers of circles of diapers around it. So fun! Of course the best part was finding cute little things to decorate the cake with onesies, pacis, rattles, bath toys, stuffed animals, etc.

We opted for cupcakes versus a whole cake for the day. The pastry chef at the venue made them for us. They were chocolate and vanilla swirl cake with chocolate ganche filling! The icing was so light and airy. They tasted wonderful! But my sweet tooth has ALWAYS loved things like this (pregnancy being no exception).


The other day, Katie and I made the favors. We melted a bag of Wilton white chocolate and put it into a piping bag. I snipped off the tip and drizzled it on the pretzel rods. We added large and small sugar crystal sprinkles (blue and green), put them in pretzel favor bags and added a little animal print ribbon because they were too cute. And the pretzels tasted great!

Here is a "far away" shot of how the tables looked. We had blue and green napkins alternating, jungle themed centerpieces made by my very talented family members, place cards, and of course favors. The food was great too! We opted for a trio of food options: salad, soup, and sandwiches.

Kelly got some GREAT gifts!

Here is the sign we made for the shower. And yes, we made the animals with the "Zoo Animal" Cricut cartridge. They turned out SO cute!

So cute I had to show a few close ups! Here is our little pink-polka dot hippo, hiding in the pond and grass.

Here is the little elephant squirting some water from it's trunk.

Here are the cute little lions!

Here are a few centerpieces up close! My aunt hand hand-made these cute little animals to match the crib bedding for Baby Cael. We've got some talented people in my family!Align Center

We made a jar of "well wishes and thoughts" for Kelly. For the moments when their little one is getting her frustrated (which babies NEVER do), and when she just needs a little word of encouragement.

Here is a table detail. We made cute little place cards, with rub-on jungle animal stickers.

And the last picture I have from the day is of my good friend Katie and I. She took pictures for us, and is also the one I went to Celevland with. She is super talented! She and her hubby are the one who have been living with us for a bit this summer because they are moving to Texas. As in, her husband is already there (sad), and she is leaving Friday afternoon (SAD!!!!). So I had to get a nice picture of the two of us before she leaves me for the Lone-Star state!

I'll share some of Katie's amazing pictures soon.

I hope everyone had a good weekend! Mine was busy but relaxing at the same time, with the shower on Saturday we were busy from the morning until around 5. Then we went out to dinner at Outback with our great family friends, the Allen family. I have known the Allen's youngest daughter, Marnie, since 2nd grade. We became instant friends and our families started hanging out all the time. We took ski trips up north with them, hung out at the lakes in the summers, spend Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations together, and just really enjoy each other's company.

Marnie and I are both expecting. She called me back at the end of May to tell me that they were going to be parents. We were SO thrilled for them, and in the back of my mind I was thinking I would LOVE to have our little ones so close in age and hopefully become great friends like we were able to. Well a few weeks later we found out we were expecting, and our due dates are only about 2 and a half weeks apart. It is so awesome to share this experience with one of my best friends, because we can call and share pregnancy stories, and completely agree that we have NEVER been so indecisive in our entire lives as we are now (you know, when you are starving but have NO CLUE what sounds good to eat). So that is an amazing thing to share with someone you've known practically your whole life!

Today, I'm going to meet up with my good friend Erin who is getting married May 8th. She and I were a year apart growing up, and became buddies in High School. We are looking at bridesmaid dresses (yes I know . . . you are thinking it too . . . 3 months after the baby, breastfeeding!!!! and in a wedding . . . but we'll make it work for Erin . . .and order my dress a little larger in the top than I already would have to). I am so happy for her and John, and know that God has great things in store for them.

Otherwise . . .this week I HAVE to get in to straighten things out in my classroom(as in this is the last week before our PD and work day next week, and kids come right after Labor day). I have the basic layout done, but need to go scope out a different table and see what we can make work. I LOVE getting my classroom together and organizing everything, but it is a BIG task. But . . . I did find out I get one extra Para-Pro in my classroom this year (this means my numbers are good!!!) so that will help a great deal! So far I have 10 in my morning session, and 6 (plus probably 2 who will add right after the school year starts) in the afternoon. I actually have added only girls to my caseload thus far which is a nice change :) So, wish me luck and say a little prayer for me as I tackle that this week, and I PROMISE to share some pictures of it when it looks more like a classroom! And I will mention that I am being careful lifting and moving things, in fact my dad (who has taught for 30+ years) has come in to help me out. I used to go in a help him get ready for the school years, and learned what it takes to make a great teacher from him, and now he likes to come help me out. So fun!

Have a great Monday!

4 comments:

  1. all the little animals are adorable! and i love the diaper cake with all the cute little things you added to it!

    i love my cricut but i don't have the zoo animals one - looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww- everything looked wonderful- you did a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful shower!! A lot of love went into all the special details of that day & it really turned out so beautiful!!! I wish I could have made it home to celebrate with you all & I missed you very much. But you guys were definitely in my thoughts!! I wrote Kelly a little note in the card, & sent a few things with my fam... & now I'm really enjoying seeing the pics of the day. I can't wait to see Katie's pics as well!! Thanks for sharing!! I love & miss you so much!!!
    ~Ashlea

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shower was wonderful!! My mom and I had so much fun and it was great to see everyone. Ross and I really loved having dinner with everyone too! It made me a little sad that we don’t live closer because we’d love to do that more often. When you called me on July 5th I saw your name on my phone and I said to Ross, “Maybe she’s calling to tell us she’s pregnant”… and you were!! We are so excited for the two of you! You will be an amazing mother and Chris will be a fantastic dad. I hope we’ll have weekly phone calls to swap stories and helpful hints. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be going through this part of my life alongside you. As you said, it truly is amazing when you can share something this special with a lifelong friend. You know that I have always viewed you as a sister and your family as my family and I can’t wait to bring our little ones into the world and for them to be a part of this incredible bond that our two families share. Ross and I already view your little one as a cousin to ours! I know that we will make so many wonderful memories with our growing families. Like I said, I just wish that we lived closer. I guess that means that we just have to be that more determined to have our children be a part of each other’s lives. Ross and I are already talking about how we need to plan family vacations together like our families did (maybe even to the happiest place on earth)! You know, carry on the tradition! We love you three so much! We feel incredibly blessed to have you as family and to be experiencing this together!

    ReplyDelete