Friday, May 14, 2010

Little Man

I love to dress Parker in little man clothes. He lets me do so at this point in time and doesn't act annoyed. I am hoping he is always this cooperative :) He's been enjoying tummy time a bit more, but still would rather eat his blankies when he lays that way than work on head and neck control. Oh well! I know he can hold his head up just fine and he's rolling a lot more too! I try to snap pictures at least on Fridays when I don't work the whole day, and sometimes I get a chance during the week to get some of my little guy. But goodness he just amazes me with how focused, curious and adorable he is (if I do say so myself . . . and I can cause I'm his momma!)

"Oh, what's over here?"
"Oh, Hey Mr Penguin! I guess I can look at you because you're really entertaining, but I will continue to eat Mr. Giraffe."
"Hey Grouchy Ladybug . . .I think I've seen you somewhere before! And my momma said I couldn't fight, sorry!"

"Oh these grapes taste good . . . and they vibrate in my mouth too! COOL!!"
"Mr. Penguin, there you are again! Maybe I'll knock you off my Bumbo tray!"
And THANK YOU!!! Jesus for helping me through my meetings today. They went much smoother than I anticipated them going!
Being a Special Education teacher isn't the easiest job in the world. There are days when i get kicked, bitten, spit on, punched, told "I hate you" . . .but for each one of those moments, I get 10 hugs, 50 "I love you!"s, and 1000 of smiles. I get the honor of seeing kids grow and change before my eyes. I have kids that come in not talking and leave not remembering how to stop talking. I have kids that come in uncertain how to make a friend and leave with their best buds. I have kids that throw a fit when they first start coming to school every day because they have a hard time leaving their families, and they end up throwing a fit because they have to go home at the end of the day. I have piles upon piles of paperwork, oberservations, documentation, reports, evaluations, goals, objectives, and meetings to attend to but seeing all 22 of my "kids" make gains is the reason I became a teacher. I know that my job will probably give me gray hair, but chasing the kids will keep my heart healthy. I know that the medicaid and IEP paperwork makes me want to scream sometimes, but I also get to scream on the playground everyday with my preschoolers. I have parents who complain about various things, but I also have parents who are so grateful for a loving, nurturing environment for their child to grow in. I would change a few things about how my job works, but I wouldn't want to do anything else in the world. Besides giving birth to and watching Parker grow, watching my "kids" grow is he greatest thing I will ever be part of. And I am SO thankful that God gave me the patience, humor, love and passion to be a teacher. :)

2 comments: