Thursday, September 15, 2011

help!!!

My little man has come a LONG way with sleeping through the night, and I realize his schedule is likely a little off because I'm back at work again (not to mention it will be rocked very quickly here).

However, he has a BAD habit of waking up about 30-40 minutes before my alarm goes off every morning and being WIDE awake. I don't know if I should thank him for preparing me for my potential new wake up time with two kids, or continue to roll my eyes at the clock when I hear him stirring and trying to open his door to break out.

He goes to bed between 8 and 9 every night, and is waking up between 5:20 and 5:40 ish every morning lately. Knowing my child, he's never seemed to need as much sleep as other toddlers his age at night (as you might recall he was always a cat napper as a baby). He will take 1 or 2 naps a day (usually depending on how early he wakes up), and if I put him down earlier he is still asleep around the same time, or a later bedtime he actually wakes up earlier (go figure!).

Any ideas . . . or maybe just prayers that this too shall pass. I guess I should be flattered he wants to spend so much time with me right ;)

Silly silly

8 comments:

  1. I'd say try and earlier bedtime, which usually helps Aedan, but he needs more sleep than most!

    I can't remember if Parker is still in a crib, but my grandmother told me she used to put a book in bed with all of her kids when they were little. If they woke up early, they just looked at books/rested until it was time to get up. I started doing this with Aedan and I have seen him on the monitor reading his book in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest cutting out one of the naps if he is taking more than one. I see this posts as Bob - but it is really Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were having sleep issues we decided to try an earlier bedtime (after lots of reading and talking to other people with kids!). We moved his bedtime up to 7:00-7:30ish when he was 12 months old and now he sleeps 11-12 hours at night. It really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to mention that if you want to try an earlier bedtime, do it in 15 minute increments each day. I know that is common sense, but transitioning over a week or so makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd chalk it up to the change in routine right now. P is having the same issues.....

    You look great, btw. Counting on Hudson coming one month from tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Logan does the exact same thing. Two weeks ago he surprised us and was SLEEPING IN until 730 or later. It was amazing! Then the past week he has been up between 5-6 and we were exhausted! Come to find out, it was because he was too cold...We live in an old house with very little insulation and it gets chilly at night now. So before I went to bed last night I put another blanket over him and he slept until almost 7...it was awesome. Another thing that wakes him up is his body...he has a super wet diaper in the morning and sometimes even #2 and that will wake him right up. I've changed his diaper in his sleep before we go to bed at night just to ensure extra comfort in the am. Seems to kind of help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also suggest getting rid of his a.m. nap. One nap in the afternoon will help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with getting rid of the am nap and an earlier bed time. We found with Hayden that between 7 and 7:30 was the prime time to go down. If we kept him up later he got up earlier

    ReplyDelete