Homemade playdough!!! (Don't recall if I have posted this recipe before but it is my favorite one for homemade playdough, the one we use at home and school - pretty much 99% of the time).
We made a 1/2 batch but here is the whole recipe for you:
Homemade playdough:
4 cups flour
4 cups water
1 cup salt
4 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
2 Tablespoons of Veg. oil
food coloring to desired color - be aware that it does darken up when cooked (we use Colorations Liquid water color at school pretty much everytime)
Scents (food extracts, kool-aid, or spices)
We either cook it in a microwave safe bowl (how we always do this at school) or on the stovetop.
Microwave - we do intervals of 1 1/2 to 3 minutes depending on batch size, stir, and repeat until pretty much combined and looks like playdough. You then have to kneed it until no longer tacky - at school we have added a little extra flour sometimes, but we didn't use any extra at home this time.
Stovetop - I use my cast iron stew-pot, on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes stirring constantly, scraping all sides and bottom of the pot, until mostly combined, again kneeding until completely combined
Be aware when kneeding that it is HOT . . . I often dump it on our counter for a minute or two before touching it.
I store in a plastic bag or resealable container and it lasts a REALLY long time (usually at school the container gets left open and it dries out long before it really would be done).
Homemade playdough:
4 cups flour
4 cups water
1 cup salt
4 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
2 Tablespoons of Veg. oil
food coloring to desired color - be aware that it does darken up when cooked (we use Colorations Liquid water color at school pretty much everytime)
Scents (food extracts, kool-aid, or spices)
We either cook it in a microwave safe bowl (how we always do this at school) or on the stovetop.
Microwave - we do intervals of 1 1/2 to 3 minutes depending on batch size, stir, and repeat until pretty much combined and looks like playdough. You then have to kneed it until no longer tacky - at school we have added a little extra flour sometimes, but we didn't use any extra at home this time.
Stovetop - I use my cast iron stew-pot, on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes stirring constantly, scraping all sides and bottom of the pot, until mostly combined, again kneeding until completely combined
Be aware when kneeding that it is HOT . . . I often dump it on our counter for a minute or two before touching it.
I store in a plastic bag or resealable container and it lasts a REALLY long time (usually at school the container gets left open and it dries out long before it really would be done).
I love making play dough! It's so fun, I made this weekly when I worked in a daycare. Soooo fun! XOX
ReplyDeleteFun! This is going on my list...thanks!
ReplyDelete