Monday, March 22, 2010

Parker - 0, Mommy - 2


Here is my first big challenge as a mom . . .


I love my son, but the boy would eat 24/7 if I let him. Does he need to be eating 24/7 at practically 2 months . . .not so much. If he wasn't gaining weight I might just let him do this, but he is growing quite fine (practically 4 pounds in 2 months) and he has to learn that he can't have his favored boob juice whenever he wants it.

There are times when I give in to this much easier than others, case and point: the middle of the night feedings. All to often this sleep deprived mommy thinks "oh, he's crying and needs a diaper and to eat" when really I could likely rock him or sssshhh him back to la la land. With the reality of going back to work in 3 weeks closing in on me quickly, I have been doing a lot of thinking about those late nights/early early mornings.

I think I came up with a plan to start trying when we get back from our Vacay to Texas (YeeHah! Uncle Brad and Aunt Katie . . .P is so excited!!!). I will get up with Parker from when he falls asleep until 2am. Daddy gets to take it from there (I may or may not let him wake me when he needs to eat between that time . . .we'll see how we do). I think Parker is going to start sleeping in his bedroom in his crib . . .here are my reasons why I think we need to at least try this now

1) He's pretty much 2 months and would sleep in my arms, or whoever is holding him forever if we allowed this . . .but for the sake of my relationship with my husband, sleep, and sanity . .and because eventually he'll thank me for letting him sleep alone.

2) He is going to daycare soon and I want him to be better at sleeping away from others

3) Momma is going to forget all her lesson plans, and probably forger to put on her pants if she has to continue getting up 3 plus times a night to feed the milk monster. Don't get me wrong, when he really needs to eat I'll feed him (maybe let daddy give him an early morning bottle too), but right now I'm just being purely lazy and letting him eat on demand at night.

4) His room is just so lonely without a cute little boy to sleep in it. We did decorate his nursery for him for a reason right? I know he has to enjoy it sometime soon!

5) Rocking chair is P's room is ultra comfy and it will get more use when we are tending to him in his room

6) Exercise (being minimal I know) walking to and from our room to his when he wakes up, and we know after gaining preggo pounds that every extra step is helpful.

7) Because if I don't start letting my little man sleep on his own, I am afraid I would seriously let him sleep with us until he is 12 . . .and more power to anyone who wants to do that, but I am not thinking I would have a happy husband if it continues.

8) Because I know it is good for him . . . even though it is just breaking my heart even thinking that he's old enough to sleep on his own.

But pretty much P is a total snuggle bug, I can't get enough, and I will still let him take the occasional nap with momma because I said so :) and I'm a mom so I can say so. I know some babies have already learned to sleep through the night at 2 months, but I didn't imagine he would be doing that already anyways (I wouldn't mind in the least). I know most breastfed babies wake up at least once a night until they are 6 months, but I'd love a little longer stretches between feedings :)

Here is my small victory for the day . . . P has been demanding food (mostly) every 2 hours. Sometimes he will allow us to go 3 hours, sometimes 4, but he really likes the number 2 (maybe because he's almost 2 months). I asked his doctor about allowing this and he said I could but he said I could try to stretch him out too. So, success times 2 today, because this morning we went 3.25 hours and right now we are going on ALMOST 4 hours between feedings (yes he is still breathing). My boobies thank you Parker! Mind you it is not without playtime, sleep, diapers, tantrum and letting out his very dramatic hungry cry; but I have learned that even when he lets out said hungry cry sometimes he'll just need to cry, wear himself out and fall back asleep for a good hour and a half. And gracious the boy is just too cute sleeping :)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with getting him in his crib! We transferred Logan into his almost two weeks ago and we are all sleeping much better! He goes 3-4 hour stretches between feedings which is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tough letting him cry, I know. We were having all sorts of sleeping issues with Cooper, and I was absolutely drained. At about 5 months, we let him cry in his bed, and it took 3 nights of that, but he has slept through the night ever since. Parker may be a little young for that just yet, but it is totally fine for you to let him cry some. My advice is be consistent, and he will get it pretty quick. Good luck, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just my opinion, but we put Liam in his crib as early as we could because we promised each other we wouldn't have kids sleeping in our bed. There have been so many nights when it would have been easier to just pull Liam into our bed, but to me it's worth it to have the sleep you need.

    Our boys deserve mommies who aren't zombies! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete