Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dancing with Jesus

Grandpa, I know you were always a big writer and loved reading my blog entries, so I figure you can read this one in Heaven. I cannot express how blessed I feel to have been your grandchild. You taught me so many amazing life lessons, and most importantly showed me how to live and serve as Christ wants us to. I am so lucky to have so many memories stored up of you. I remember how much you loved taking pictures of us, even if the camera was held above your head, yet somehow they all pretty much turned out. I remember how you'd pretend to fall over when you'd push us on the swing at the lake. I remember SO many amazing times at the lake together: making ice cream, eating your popcorn and drinking your fuzzy navels (which I REALLY thought were just vernors and orange juice until I was about 21 . . .still my preferred way to drink them), your protein Mickey pancakes in the morning, picking fresh fruit from your garden together, helping out in the workshop, playing pool, taking boat rides, bike rides, putting on shows on the swing set for you to watch, making you oh so pretty by doing your makeup and hair, making countless meals in our stair fort, Scattegories and your priceless answers, helping dig up rocks for the sea wall, our day canoe trips, the many special weeks we were able to spend just with you and grams doing special things together, your skilled hands making precious wood creations for each of us, you "couldn't possibly" have any more dessert but you always managed to clean your plate, all your funny animal noises, and reading to us. I remember you being Johnny Appleseed for us every year at school, and pressing apple cider for our elementary classes. I remember lots of nature walks and time outside with you, you had the greenest thumb of anyone I know. You were a compassionate, loving, and amazing Grandpa and I am SO SO SO blessed to have loved and enjoyed you for 27 of your 83 years. I am so thankful that you were able to love and enjoy the loves of my life too, and I know they are so lucky to have had you in their lives. I know that you are now able to dance with Jesus, although you are more likely pruning, or enjoying a dessert buffet, or playing with all the pups in heaven, or building something with Uncle Pete, or writing in your journals, but I hope you are just getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor and love. You are SO missed Gramps, but so loved and cherished forever! Can't wait to see you again someday, but until then I'll play all those precious memories of our times together in my mind. We love you!

4 comments:

  1. So hard to read Erin, but just look at all your loving memories you will have forever... and all those stories will get passed down to Parker...Heaven welcomed their Angel John Venman yesterday...no more pain and he goes to prepare a place for Diane & the rest of us..thanks for sharing...Love to you all,
    Grandma Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, sweet post. I know exactly how you feel. I had the most awesome grandpa ever & he passed away a few years ago. I wish so bad he could've met mine & my sisters babies. He would've LOVED these boys so much! He would've taken them fishing & four wheeling on the farm. I miss him so much. I know both of our grandpas are looking down on our babies & are their guardian angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Erin, I am so sorry for you and your family's loss! I know he will be watching over you and those you love though. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet this is, Erin. Praying for your family. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete