Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sensory table for toddlers

Parker got his beloved water table this summer, and it was time for a change so I threw in a bunch of dry beans instead of water, and added some scoops and sand toys.










He had so much fun playing in his own little sensory table. You obviously have to watch very carefully as it COULD turn very messy very fast, but luckily I have a great little helper and cleaner on my hands and it is just the right kind of activity (not to mention picking up beans off the ground strengthens fine motor skills, and scooping encourages transfering and pouring skills . . . all useful for toddlers and preschoolers for that matter).




We have had the table in the garage or driveway on cooler days and inside the house on hotter days, but you could put it just about anywhere. And you could use a lower plastic tub instead of a water or sensory table too, or even a dish tub. I imagine when cooler weather is here we'll fill it with different things.






Here are some of my favorite sensory tub fillers that I've used at school:



Dry beans



Rice



Water



Sand



Colored pasta



Snow (you can use mittens to keep their hands warm) or Instant snow (P.S. I LOVE all these science things . . . all ages can be found - preschool on up . . . You could spend all day checking out Steve's products I promise. I first got to see them at an Early Childhood Conference I went to a few years ago and have been hooked on his cool things ever since . . .my personal opinion!!!!)



Potting soil (you can add grass seed and they can help it grow and even cut it with scissors-obviously for a little older kids)



Plastic straws and scissors (again probably preschool age kids - but the straws fly all over and they'll love it!)



Packing peanuts



Larger hard fruits or veggies such as apples, pumpkins, gourds, etc, hammers and golf tees (for pounding)



Toothpicks and marshmellows for building (or gumdrops)



Flour or corn starch



Shaved soap



Old magazines and scissors for cutting practice



Strips of papers and scissors for cutting practice



Shaving cream (can add liquid water color to make really pretty)



hair gel (really sticky but fun)



Cotton balls and pom poms with tweezers or Egg tweezers (you know from dying eggs)








Oh the possibilities are just about endless!! See what fun I get to have in preschool :)






Happy 1st day of school!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a great idea! We have a water table, but I never thought about putting anything else in it. Now we can use it during the winter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete